Thursday 23 September 2010

Those pesky slugs!!

Now that the rains have started and the creepy crawlies are coming out of hiding,  I have been reminded of something that happened a few years ago, not long after I'd moved into this house. 

I came home from work to find a note from the postman to say he'd dropped a package off next door. so I popped round, dodging a few monster sized slugs on the way.  After a bit of small talk, I mention how surpised I was at the size of the slugs round here.  He gave me a funny look and asked where I'd lived before. Not far, I said, but in flat up 2 flights of stairs, so I wasn't bothered by them there.

He said that it wasn't normally much of a problem round here, and he hadn't heard of anyone else being too worried by it. However, he then went on to say that a house down the road had been badly affected by them a few years back, mainly because of the mountain behind us.  Visions of monster slugs coming down from the mountains started to form in my mind - OMG what have I let myself in for!!!  He then went on to say that at least it wasn't as bad at the Junction, when the whole of the bottom of the hill was under water for days!!! Water??? eh???  And then the penny dropped - he was talking about FLOODS not SLUGS!!!

Was I glad I hadn't asked him too much detail about how the slugs had got into the house, so with a relieved smile and thanks, I made my exit and returned home safe in the knowledge that those pesky slugs on the path would never be coming in my house!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment